Thursday 7 July 2011

June 18th: Edson to Edmonton

   Rain poured outside once again. The day before keeping my bike on the road had been a constant battle, therefore we took an hour before leaving to do as much work on the bike to insure a smooth travel to Edmonton It was rather miserable working in the rain, but it was something that had to be done.
   Once on the move,I didn't stop once all day. My gretest fear became stopping to warm up, and crashing under a heavy cloud of exhaustion and finding myself unable to continue riding for the day. Therefore I didn't want my misery to improve, only to get worse again. Downey stopped every now and again for a smoke,  but I peddled without end until we got the the "Welcome to Edmonton" sign at the west edge of the city.
   My Mom had sent me a contact with which we could stay. I gave them a call, and it turns out they were actually friends of my Aunt Michelle and they were more than happy to have us over for a couple of nights. All the luxuries we had once taken for granted were available to us again. A shower, warm and dry beds, home cooked meals, and some nice drinks. As hard as it is sometimes, it has been in my experience that every low we have gone threw on the trips, every rainy kilometer has been worth it.
   We stayed with the Talbots in Edmonton. Downey found himself a bed to sleep in and given the choice of sharing a bed with Downey, or sleep on a slightly uncomfortable couch, I opted for the couch. Too many nights had already been spent with Downey and I hope you can understand why the uncomfortable couch seemed like a the better option at the time.
   Downey and I found ourselves staying up late in front of a big TV watching "Forrest Gump". It was a great movie to watch because sometimes when we are biking and have nothing to say to each other, we will simply recite lines from the movie Forrest Gump and try to recreate the story line with all the characters just to keep boredom at bay.
   We must have finally gone to bed in the wee hours of the morning. It was quite worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment